[Athen] FW: MS WORD 2016 Compability Inquiry

Chagnon | PubCom chagnon at pubcom.com
Sun Dec 4 21:09:02 PST 2016

We've found that you'll get the best, most accurate and accessible PDF if
you use the most current software tools.

Today, those are Word 2016 and Acrobat DC (which installs PDFMaker ver. 15.0
in MS Office).

We remediate dozens of documents a week for clients. Just checked a few
samples and all had the correct tags in the tag tree as well as in the Order
Panel (TURO tool).

I recommend that you update your Acrobat to DC and keep your Word 2016.

Don't go backwards. And never assume that outdated software knows about
today's standards.

Remember, it takes two pieces of software to create an accessible PDF: the
source application software (Word 2016) and the converting software (Acrobat
PDFMaker 15.0). You won't get solid results if one of them is out of date.
(Which is why we need to work with both Adobe and Microsoft to get the
accessibility problems resolved.)

Have attached a remake of your PDF. Took your Word document and opened it in
Word 2016, exported to accessible PDF with Acrobat DC/PDF Maker 15. Open my
version in Acrobat and you'll see the tags in the Order Panel/TURO are
accurate and match the tag tree.

FYI, you can see which versions of the source application and converting
software were used to create a PDF by doing the following:

1. Open the PDF in Acrobat Pro.

2. File / Properties.

3. First tab, Description.

4. Towards the middle you see the source and convertion software. PDF
Producer shows which software and version was used to convert the source to
the PDF.

--Bevi Chagnon

- - -

Bevi Chagnon | <http://www.pubcom.com/> www.PubCom.com

Technologists, Consultants, Trainers, Designers, and Developers

for publishing & communication

| Acrobat PDF | Print | EPUBS | Sec. 508 Accessibility |

- - -