[Athen] job description for captioning coordinator?

Teresa Haven Teresa.Haven at nau.edu
Thu Jan 28 12:01:48 PST 2016

Aloha, all. I’m posting a response from one of my colleagues here at NAU since he isn’t a member of this list, but has good experience/information to share.
Cheers,
Teresa

Teresa Haven, Ph.D.
Accessibility Analyst, Northern Arizona University

Response from Jamie Axelrod:

We learned over a number of years that while a small group of faculty were willing to make course materials accessible themselves, a larger group was willing to use accessible materials from the start but for various reasons did not want to create or convert them themselves.

With the types of instructional materials growing and changing so rapidly, we decided to approach the administration with information about the need for a resource that would be available to all faculty which could help ensure the availability and use of accessible instructional materials. That information also included a summary of the risks involved in not addressing this issue quickly and devoting some resources towards it. This effort was successful and we now have a “Usable Materials Center” through which Faculty and Staff, regardless of a specific identified need, can have materials assessed and remediated for accessibility, so that they can utilize accessible materials form the start.

Jamie Axelrod
Interim Executive Director, Campus Health Services
Director, Disability Resources
Northern Arizona University
President-Elect, Association on Higher Education and Disability
(928)523-8773