[Athen] How readers interpret math (Amy Baker)

Karen Sorensen karen.sorensen at pcc.edu
Thu May 5 16:35:06 PDT 2016

Hi Amy,
The only solution that we know to currently work to read mathML (the
accessibility standard for math) accurately on a computer is the NVDA
screen reader with the Firefox browser and with MathType (and Math Player)
installed on the computer being used. Keep an eye on the Diagram Center's
Math Support Finder <http://msf.mathmlcloud.org/>. Which I see says JAWS
should be able to read math in Firefox. hmm... not the results I've seen.
The even trickier question is what can a student use to write math. Feel
free to write me off-list and I'll send you what notes I've gathered on
that issue.
Best,
Karen

Karen M. Sorensen
Accessibility Advocate for Online Courses
www.pcc.edu/access
Portland Community College
971-722-4720
Twitter: @ksorensun