[Athen] Numbered headings in Word: bug, or my goof?

Bourne, Sarah (MASSIT) sarah.bourne at mass.gov
Wed Aug 30 09:29:59 PDT 2017

When using numbering with headings, you need to create a List Style from the "multilevel" icon (never the single level list!), and link that new list style to the heading styles. Linking to the headings is why you might not want to use the provided list styles. Using the multilevel is what makes it start a new list in a new section instead of continuing the numbering.

I sent this link around last week with the steps and details: How to create numbered headings or outline numbering<http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/outlinenumbering.html>. When I follow those instructions exactly, I have no problems. When I try to wing it, I get all kinds of list misbehavior.

sb
Sarah E. Bourne
Director of IT Accessibility
1 Ashburton Place, 8th Floor, Boston, MA 02108
Office: (617) 626-4502
sarah.bourne at mass.gov | www.mass.gov/eotss<http://www.mass.gov/anf/research-and-tech/oversight-agencies/itd/>
Executive Office of Technology Services and Security (EOTSS)
EOTSS provides secure and quality digital information, services, and tools
to constituents and service providers when and where they need them.