[Athen] question Jaws reading math

Joseph Polizzotto jpolizzotto at htctu.net
Thu Dec 7 12:14:40 PST 2017

Hi Susan:

Another solution may be to use Pandoc to convert math documents to HTML,
which has the advantage of faster conversion of multiple files and "cleaner"
HTML output.

You can convert DOCX files to HTML using Pandoc. In that case, you would not
be using DOCX + MathType equations but DOCX + OMML equations as your
starting point:

You can then export to HTML using either the MathML or MathJax switch:

pandoc input.docx -s --mathjax -o output.html

pandoc input.docx -s --mathml -o output.html

If you are using Pandoc, this has been my experience using JAWS (v. 18):

- HTML + MathJax + IE sort of works (except for basic math - fractions)

- HTML + MathJax + Google Chrome works best (no problems with basic math)

Note: In the past I had been to use pandoc to output to HTML + MathML and
then use JAWS (v.18) + Firefox but I just tested with Firefox Quantum and
this no longer seems to work.

Yet, another option with Pandoc is to convert LaTeX files or Markdown files
(with LaTeX equations) to HTML + MathJax. The argument would be similar:

pandoc input.text -s --mathjax -o output.html

pandoc input.md -s --mathjax -o output.html

Finally, if your student reads LaTex and uses a Braille display, you may
want to check out a tool called Matuc
<https://github.com/TUD-INF-IAI-MCI/AGSBS-infrastructure> , which has Pandoc
as its file conversion engine and GladTex
<https://github.com/humenda/GladTeX> as its module for processing LaTex,
because it can convert a markdown file with LaTeX equations to HTML where
the LaTeX is rendered as PNG images with LaTeX as the alt-text. (The German
developers of these tools have said that their blind population prefers to
read HTML files with PNG + LaTeX as alt text since the LaTeX is consistently
displayed on their RBD and this method makes speech output of the math
equation from a screen reader unnecessary).

BTW, the Matuc tool can also be used to output to HTML + MathJax. Contact me
off list if you are interested and I can share more information about Matuc.

Best,

---

Joseph Polizzotto

HTCTU Instructor

408-996-6044

<http://www.htctu.net/> www.htctu.net

<mailto:athen-list at u.washington.edu> athen-

<mailto:athen-list at u.washington.edu> >list at u.washington.edu>

>Subject: Re: [Athen] question Jaws reading math

>Hi Susan,

>The HTML5+MathML flavor will show up on the list of choices when the

>"MathML using..." drop down list is active in the MathPage dialog. If you

don't

>see it, you must have an old version of MathType. You might want to

consider

>updating. However, you ought to still have the MathML+MathJax option,

>unless you have a really old version. If you don't have that either, then

try the

>XHTML+MathML option. That should work in Firefox ESR with JAWS.

>--Steve

>From: athen-list < <mailto:athen-list-bounces at mailman13.u.washington.edu>

athen-list-bounces at mailman13.u.washington.edu> on

>behalf of Susan Kelmer < <mailto:Susan.Kelmer at colorado.edu>

Susan.Kelmer at colorado.edu>

>Sent: Thursday, December 7, 2017 12:39 PM

>To: Access Technology Higher Education Network

>Subject: Re: [Athen] question Jaws reading math

>Steve, how would I create an html5 page from the MathML output I'm getting

>from Word and MathType? Is there a different setting I should be using to

>publish those MathTyped files and I am missing? I've been getting my info

>from Design Science but as we know, the haven't updated in a long time.

>This is definitely not my area of expertise, and the student is clueless.

He is

>refusing to use NVDA because he can't make it read expressions character by

>character. And we need to figure out a way to make this work.

>-Susan

you

>don't know what browser the student is going to use. JAWS doesn't require

>MathPlayer or MathType to read math from an HTML file. According to their

>website, it should work in either Firefox or Internet Explorer:

>https://secure-web.cisco.com/11QFAcKPxJOZKP5oRVWmE3_fcNq_7Sevt-

>Iik5KMcdEzSNA171-

>SZN2kp10PZMXktuOdfD3r3_WA3vi0KyWmymLUWArZcpgPQg2b1ATO_emz_

>mX4WcIiYeoA2OvuvJ3uUwKiE7hN-

>k2fZF2Vd49AGwO69ae2Iypzpt1Oem9LN8IAwG6nAPOLU0xTTDuO31PPDC4F9s

>v9e6c7aIFf0gOU9oL6thmkhIB_Jul-

>YWfCktVdvq5Ke8IH_uXqaTnAprYly6BU5w82kPdVoO7VOOz5KWy8WFNOY2nd

>XSxGQyjsqS0Ck0tdweEEstK1Aa7gqeiWmbWC9rdQrAfksMALOIkrbAoTNNfQG

>P2JHciglEDcCPmbPlYE3G_iapi3NMH8_jSAUMAJxc2WJIchQD8ZOk7DqKK-

>oQX0jfyR1YFi5Qbblxf7Okx9qQ7X5VZpf56m11k8ydVipjcM3htEd8K5YJJT2RQ/ht

>tps%3A%2F%2Furldefense.proofpoint.com%2Fv2%2Furl%3Fu%3Dhttp-

>3A__www.freedomscientific.com_JAWSHQ_JAWSHeadquarters01%26d%3DD

>wICAg%26c%3DOAG1LQNACBDguGvBeNj18Swhr9TMTjS-

>x4O_KuapPgY%26r%3D67olWPWhVEsI50vpRdydglG2RHA1T81UHrTuRDeUqW

>4%26m%3D6breuL8FItjz_mGAJsFXvBdJKu-

>smZ9fkNvzSk6DrE0%26s%3DfGHRYK8ZL7bWjmfGJbt0CZE_GINM3QO54xpi6gw

>LzQw%26e%3D

>That probably means it *doesn't* work with Microsoft Edge in Windows

>10...you'll need to see if you can install IE11. Also the newest Firefox is

causing

>problems with JAWS, so for now you'll probably have to switch to Firefox

ESR:

>https://secure-web.cisco.com/1WIUL71-

>1k3z4EH0nebJmlBoDW7dG98iwQb2q1hVlIJJu43CHzdkSIuSEB4vrwtC1h_l7nt9_

>aRbGCXGkkkCkO96PT8T5jefnNZuiLGOt1_Qrlg_MJLvMpcD7pQ8o7I9P029ucb-

>TfnWOcpBPQ16PaHxQDE_1fFqC8xYhGDorcqfzl6N28647M_v4DnzWoCZTIbvBv

>bUImLBGnjKMosCfcjeG5zqbdA0xQiEh5JrlOZJh-

>PGskVYf7elebM7QJd2S4p00SVQVCanNd9lRMIwQn7fQcjWnkEIzCjuRXwTyCKR

>0RPkPx5kBxwpMY2TxRcKa8MoGpPahv5rymL9IyGLIXCYVVQlDn_4oQt3fVZTSU

>4Y3f9cpfG5N4Vd7JjKD5E_bkmQrSpZJ7BhoP-q9c20opsdP1ugIcFp6U-

>MoFbAWF5jj_UEl6Txbo7mkwyXQfWOzxPV5IN4-

>fuT7Sd50j6mytg/https%3A%2F%2Furldefense.proofpoint.com%2Fv2%2Furl%

>3Fu%3Dhttp-3A__blog.freedomscientific.com_2017_10_25_important-

>2Dinformation-2Dfor-2Dusers-2Dof-2Dmozilla-

>2Dfirefox_%26d%3DDwICAg%26c%3DOAG1LQNACBDguGvBeNj18Swhr9TMTj

>S-

>x4O_KuapPgY%26r%3D67olWPWhVEsI50vpRdydglG2RHA1T81UHrTuRDeUqW

>4%26m%3D6breuL8FItjz_mGAJsFXvBdJKu-

>smZ9fkNvzSk6DrE0%26s%3DxAgR6axcX_Gxm8KmTtzX45rfDE4UDsHXSQYgNCk

>eQtA%26e%3D

>Hope that helps!

>--Steve Noble

> <mailto:steve.noble at louisville.edu> steve.noble at louisville.edu

>502-969-3088

>https://secure-

>web.cisco.com/1K8Ce9_HmlEfJw14em0VASlfb1lxwGNI6Ck6FZ2_-

>GZsakznnSNu86ivxAL9l5dJlqnndkMQUZBJ4WpLFUskyzIY4y08ZQbMz-

>hZPtq4FKzb-

>WsE36PY6JIKcQvzyTYwXwII4zIND4H7_9RFC5mtT34pLDRktGvTn0QaFmuKas6iK

>L0Hti036jvcsXjsLeUM9rqWAdKIMjfVqjYrJxx0eym90eEO8xURzV_x177kXO15D

>RPauu1ZlMWirH1IkO9fiT7XNL08Xvyc1ORUQ8TtRdBm6DpKUsqLkXYHfY1qnrBB

>WtBPi_vX6ZooEASeJRn3Qh_5De62VkfApXiYw_gFRQZ9qvE_Sz1_aTpame5hbe

>H6BOaEbqHj5WOHE8CubmbI-

>s2ERidCxoxsxPLvAfde9aDvwV6NTzUgNbPgi2Crcf6HZSEocUt539B-

>4DcJ1ba91iRIdIqiKK5B-

>QbOgHybPow/https%3A%2F%2Furldefense.proofpoint.com%2Fv2%2Furl%3F

>u%3Dhttp-

>3A__louisville.academia.edu_SteveNoble%26d%3DDwICAg%26c%3DOAG1LQ

>NACBDguGvBeNj18Swhr9TMTjS-

>x4O_KuapPgY%26r%3D67olWPWhVEsI50vpRdydglG2RHA1T81UHrTuRDeUqW

>4%26m%3D6breuL8FItjz_mGAJsFXvBdJKu-

>smZ9fkNvzSk6DrE0%26s%3Ds0SShc2wSyvZFv_r0cKfDcJrD1Og6F5CiHZrmd4vs0

>s%26e%3D

>From: athen-list < <mailto:athen-list-bounces at mailman13.u.washington.edu>

athen-list-bounces at mailman13.u.washington.edu> on

>behalf of Susan Kelmer < <mailto:Susan.Kelmer at colorado.edu>

Susan.Kelmer at colorado.edu>

>Sent: Thursday, December 7, 2017 11:34 AM

>To: <mailto:DSSHE-L at LISTSERV.BUFFALO.EDU> DSSHE-L at LISTSERV.BUFFALO.EDU;

Access Technology Higher

>Education Network

>Subject: [Athen] question Jaws reading math

>Hi all. I should know this, but the last five years, I've had students

using NVDA

>to read math, so I'm very very rusty in this area.

>We are creating word files using Mathtype, and publishing them to Mathpage.

>The student indicates that the files aren't working - the math isn't being

read.

>He has mathplayer installed.

>I believe he also needs MathType, is that correct? Is there anything else

he

>needs to have installed to make this work? Is MathJax a requirement? He's

>using Windows 10, so needs to use Firefox or Chrome browsers, I assume.

>Also, exactly WHAT files from that Mathpage output do I send him? There is

>the file.htm, and then a folder full of the additional files (images and

some xml

>files). I keep thinking these two things are not talking to each other, if

they

athen-list at mailman13.u.washington.edu

athen-list at mailman13.u.washington.edu

athen-list at mailman13.u.washington.edu