[Athen] verification that a course is accessible

Nicolaas Matthijs nicolaas at fronteer.io
Tue Mar 14 12:15:04 PDT 2017

Hi Joshua,

Thanks for sharing the reference to the UC Ally pilot. Through its integration with the Learning Management System, Ally will indeed automatically scan items that are added to the LMS for common accessibility issues.

I did want to make sure that there are no misunderstandings about what Ally does though. We definitely don’t claim that we will make everything automatically accessible.

Ally takes a 3-step approach to helping make course content more accessible. First, Ally does as much as it can in an automated way to generate a more accessible alternative. However, there are certain things we can’t do in an automated way (e.g., image without alternative description).

Given that Ally can’t fix everything automatically, it also flags issues and provides feedback to instructors, and provides comprehensive reporting at the course and institutional level.

Hope that helps,
Nicolaas