[Athen] verification that a course is accessible

Jennifer Sutton jsuttondc at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 19:43:33 PDT 2017

ATHENites:

Slight topic shift:

Given recent activity with revising Section 508:

https://www.access-board.gov/guidelines-and-standards/communications-and-it/about-the-ict-refresh

I'd really recommend folks focus on WCAG 2.0 AA, rather than the old
Section 508, referenced below, in terms of updating current online
content or rolling out new. Yes, at least as I understand it, it won't
take effect until January of next year, so as I see it, it'll be best
for academic institutions to be preparing, as needed, for that, starting
now.

I'm not even going to get into whether academic institutions need to
comply with 508; it varies widely, depends on funding *within* an
institution (sometimes), and I expect you folks know who you are.

There are many many so-called checklists out there. Obviously, it's
important to be sure the one(s) you choose are up-to-date; I'm sure
WebAIM will update their 508 checklist as they're able. At the moment, I
don't see a "last updated" date on it.

In the meantime, I believe this set of references has recently been
updated. Here's a post from IBM:

http://ageandability.com/2016/09/19/ibm-updates-accessibility-checklists-in-preparation-for-section-508-refresh/

Back to online courses ... I'd think that for faculty, using online
platforms, a "checklist" tailored to how to improve accessibility
*specifically* (step-by-step, with videos and/or screen shots, perhaps)
on that platform would be something that'd be more appealing to faculty
members. If they're going to do it, at least in my experience, they need
accessibility to be as easy and quick for them to implement as possible.

Good luck to all.

Best,

Jennifer