[Athen] verification that a course is accessible

Scott Marshall marsh058 at umn.edu
Wed Mar 15 04:26:39 PDT 2017

Good morning from Minnesota -

We're beginning to develop a "seal" of sorts for sites (not courses - but
they could be next) where accessibility is a priority. As Krista said,
sites can and do change on a dime so there's no guarantee that what was
mostly accessible yesterday will remain accessible through the end of the
week.

But what we CAN do is recognize those sites where accessibility is a
priority; where there is commitment to accessibility. So our badge or seal
will have an "attitudinal" component to it. One of the criteria we're
working on is a reporting and response mechanism that would allow an
accessibility issue to be reported and would define a deadline for the fix
(or Plan B development) such that the problem doesn't persist. (And there's
more that I won't get into here.)

It's an imperfect plan. In a decentralized structure like ours, with no
accessibility mandate but a lot of interest in doing better, we need to do
what we can to encourage accessibility, to bring it out into the light and
make it a thing, to build connections around it, to reward it even.

scott

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 2:01 PM, Joshua Hori <jhori at ucdavis.edu> wrote:

> Hello Krista!

> We're finally piloting Ally for Canvas in the UC system due to this

> reason. The quarterly accessibility reports are nice, but need to test out

> their "EVERYTHING IS AUTOMAGICALLY ACCESSIBLE" claims.

> But if they REALLY want a checklist...

> http://webaim.org/standards/wcag/checklist

> http://webaim.org/standards/508/checklist

> There are no accessibility badges that I'm aware of.

> Best,

> Joshua

Scott Marshall
Associate Director
University of Minnesota Disability Resource Center

o. 612.626.4954
m. 612.245.7632