[Athen] Word-for-word vs meaning-for-meaning captioning

Heidi Scher hascherdss at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 10:33:06 PDT 2018

In my experiences, students have preferred the meaning-for-meaning most of
the time. Verbatim can be difficult when following a discussion flow due to
the volume. However, depending on the course (such as very technical
courses), verbatim is sometimes a better option. We've not had any students
requesting verbatim for several years. When it comes to receiving
transcripts (for notes), verbatim captioning are often too much information
for students to wade through and M4M are most popular.

Kind regards,
Heidi

+++++++++++++++
Heidi Scher, M.S., CRC
Associate Director - Assistive Technology --- Center for Educational Access
University of Arkansas --- 209 ARKU --- Fayetteville, AR 72701
479.575.3104 ph --- 479.575.7445 fax --- 479.575.3646 tdd
+++++++++++++++

StrengthQuest Talent Themes: Learner, Input, Maximizer, Intellection,
Arranger

*This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which
it is addressed and may contain information that is confidential,
strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please
advise the sender by reply email and delete the message. Your cooperation
is appreciated.*

+++++++++++++++
Heidi Scher, M.S., CRC
Associate Director