[Athen] Word-for-word vs meaning-for-meaning captioning

Andrea L. Dietrich adietrich at cornell.edu
Mon Apr 30 13:04:58 PDT 2018

IMO, it depends on the quality of the captioning more than the verbatim/non-verbatim status. I do C-Print, and although I’m definitely not verbatim, and some times miss more than others, I feel like I capture the same amount of information, generally speaking, as a verbatim captionist would. Just in a more condensed form.

I think a really skilled meaning-for-meaning captionist would probably better serve most students than a mediocre verbatim captionist, but also vice versa.

-Andi :)
--------------------------
Andrea Dietrich
Cornell University