[Athen] Screen Reader/Browser Combination

Robert Fentress learn at vt.edu
Thu Jul 19 11:17:51 PDT 2018

As regards Internet Explorer, the most recent current version of Internet
Explorer will continue to receive security updates
<https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsforbusiness/end-of-ie-support> for
the life of the operating system. For us, currently, that means that we
aren't likely to really stop supporting it until Windows 10 goes away or
until Edge is better supported by screen readers and starts to
significantly supplant IE. On the most recent WebAIM survey, it ranks #2
<https://webaim.org/projects/screenreadersurvey7/#browsers> in response to
the question, "When using your primary screen reader, which browser do you
use most often?" with 23.3%. I'd love to not have to consider it, and, if
I was a developer who was not aware of the needs of screen reader users, I
certainly would. Sadly, we're not there yet.

Best,
Rob

On Thu, Jul 19, 2018 at 9:52 AM <travis at travisroth.com> wrote:

> While I am not in a position to know what students use, Chrome is

> certainly supported by JAWS and NVDA and is used by many users at large.

> Internet Explorer can still be used but seems to be for more specialized

> cases now such as older enterprise applications. For general web browsing,

> it just has gotten to old. And Microsoft is not updating it. If you’re

> developing a new web application, Internet Explorer plus screen reader

> testing would not be at the top of my list.

> (Edge support by screen readers is improving but it is not ready for prime

> time either.)

> Travis

*Rob Fentress*
*Web Accessibility Solutions Designer*
Accessible Technologies at Virginia Tech
Electronic Business Card (vCard)
<http://search.vt.edu/search/person.vcf?person=1154847>
LinkedIn Profile
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/rob-fentress-aa0b609?trk=profile-badge>