[Athen] Captioning YouTube Videos

Joseph Polizzotto jpolizzotto at berkeley.edu
Thu Apr 11 15:33:31 PDT 2019

HI Alex:

Another option is to use DIY Captions <https://www.diycaptions.com/>

Simply paste the YouTube URL in the "Paste a YouTube URL" edit field on the
DIY Captions page, press enter, and select the get text button. A new tab
will open with the transcript of the YouTube video, which you can edit as
necessary.

You can then copy your edited transcript, paste back into YouTube's
subtitle editor, and set the timings.

Note: DIY Captions also has a captions editor with many useful shortcuts,
yet there were accessibility issues last I checked.

HTH,

Joseph

On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 12:59 PM Stephen (Alex) Marositz <
smarositz at csudh.edu> wrote:

> Hello List

> I know that it used to be that you would have to download a caption file

> from YouTube, edit it and upload it to create accurate captions. It seems

> now that you can do it from within your YouTube account. Can anyone speak

> to the ease in doing it this way? Here’s the link:

> http://ncdae.org/resources/cheatsheets/youtube.php

> Being a screen reader user myself, I could not figure out how to do it

> entirely from the keyboard.

> Thanks for your insights.

> Stephen Alexander (Alex) Marositz J.D. CPACC

> Accessible Technology Initiative Coordinator

> Information Technology Services, California State University Dominguez

> Hills

> (310)243-3077

*Alternate Media Supervisor*
Disabled Students' Program
University of California, Berkeley
https://dsp.berkeley.edu/
<https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdsp.berkeley.edu%2F&data=02%7C01%7C%7C4e0abffcb5b34567a22308d5e13137b3%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636662523854357148&sdata=yB5%2BUm2W6TBwpc%2BOF4DvN8wPoo1dozUwz8eCepYhTyY%3D&reserved=0>
(510) 642-0329