[Athen] Daisy with images for the screen reader user

Deborah Armstrong armstrongdeborah at fhda.edu
Fri Jun 7 08:47:43 PDT 2019

I posted the following plea for help in Bookshare's community help forum. I've been asked how to do this by several students and don't know how; I need the information myself:

***
I would like to see a help article from bookshare on dealing with files that contain images if you are visually impaired.

The problem: you are a screen reader user and you are reading a book which contains images. Many of these images are necessary for understanding the material.

You either need a helper to describe the images or you need to pull them up under magnification. Perhaps you want to print them so you can take them to your describer or magnification system.

What is the best format to download the book in? Then how do you locate the correct image, example Figure 3.4? How then do you pull it up onscreen in reading software that supports images and is also screen reader accessible?

Please write a step-by-step guide for people who need this kind of help.

--Debee