[Athen] [EXTERNAL] Re: Marking Table Headers in Word

Sean Keegan skeegan at ccctechcenter.org
Fri Sep 20 14:58:57 PDT 2019

Hi Heather,

Can you share the MS Word document?

I just ran a quick test with a simple data table using MS Word 365 and
Acrobat Pro DC. Word is version 1908 and Acrobat DC is 19.012.20040. I
tested two similar tables with the following parameters:

1) Header Rows checkbox selected + First Row checkbox selected

2) With Header Rows and First Row checkbox selected and Repeat As Header
Row at the Top of Each Page checkbox selected.

For MS Word, the Accessibility Checker is showing no errors for the data
table.

When converting to PDF (via Adobe Acrobat plugin), I now get the <TH>
elements on the correct table cells (the column headers and the first row
headers). This happens for both situation #1 and #2 listed above; in other
words, no real difference in the PDF tagging.

Using a previous version of MS Word (not 365), I know I received a
difference in the PDF output when I did NOT check the Repeat as Header Row
at the Top of Each Page option. However, is using the latest MS Word 365
and Adobe Acrobat DC to create the PDF, then you will get the correct <TH>
elements in both situation #1 and #2.

Sounds like there is now discrepancy between MS Word 2019 and 365 if every
single table cell is receiving the <TH> element if checking both Header
options. Super fun...

Take care,
Sean