[Athen] [EXTERNAL] Re: Marking Table Headers in Word

Heather Mariger heather.mariger at chemeketa.edu
Fri Sep 20 15:28:58 PDT 2019

Greetings,

Here is an example I used for testing. I could not find the "top row"
checkbox you mentioned - is that a 365 thing?

I have also attached the resulting PDF. Any ideas are welcome...

Thanks,
H.

*Heather Mariger*
*Digital Accessibility Advocate*

*Center for Academic Innovation*
*Chemeketa Community College*
*4000 Lancaster Drive NE - 9/126A*
*Salem, OR 97305*

503.589.7832

*****************
*Diversity is being invited to the party; inclusion is being asked to
dance. *
Verna Myers, author and speaker

On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 3:00 PM Sean Keegan <skeegan at ccctechcenter.org>
wrote:

> Hi Heather,

> Can you share the MS Word document?

> I just ran a quick test with a simple data table using MS Word 365 and

> Acrobat Pro DC. Word is version 1908 and Acrobat DC is 19.012.20040. I

> tested two similar tables with the following parameters:

> 1) Header Rows checkbox selected + First Row checkbox selected

> 2) With Header Rows and First Row checkbox selected and Repeat As Header

> Row at the Top of Each Page checkbox selected.

> For MS Word, the Accessibility Checker is showing no errors for the data

> table.

> When converting to PDF (via Adobe Acrobat plugin), I now get the <TH>

> elements on the correct table cells (the column headers and the first row

> headers). This happens for both situation #1 and #2 listed above; in other

> words, no real difference in the PDF tagging.

> Using a previous version of MS Word (not 365), I know I received a

> difference in the PDF output when I did NOT check the Repeat as Header Row

> at the Top of Each Page option. However, is using the latest MS Word 365

> and Adobe Acrobat DC to create the PDF, then you will get the correct <TH>

> elements in both situation #1 and #2.

> Sounds like there is now discrepancy between MS Word 2019 and 365 if every

> single table cell is receiving the <TH> element if checking both Header

> options. Super fun...

> Take care,

> Sean

> On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 12:16 PM Heather Mariger <

> heather.mariger at chemeketa.edu> wrote:

>> Greetings,

>> Regarding table headings in Word - I found an odd issue with converting

>> tables to PDF from Word. We just converted to Office 2019.

>> When I create a table, I check the Header Row box and the Repeat Header

>> Rows (as I was taught - and have subsequently taught to faculty). However,

>> whenever I convert the document to a PDF, it labels EVERY cell as a Table

>> Header. I tried multiple iterations and found that checking Header Row

>> ONLY, it will label the table headers and data rows correctly.

>> Has anyone else had this issue? Is the Word Document still

>> properly formatted if I tell them to only check the Header Row box?

>> Thanks,

>> H.

>> *Heather Mariger*

>> *Digital Accessibility Advocate*

>> *Center for Academic Innovation*

>> *Chemeketa Community College*

>> *4000 Lancaster Drive NE - 9/126A*

>> *Salem, OR 97305*

>> 503.589.7832

>> *****************

>> *Diversity is being invited to the party; inclusion is being asked to

>> dance. *

>> Verna Myers, author and speaker

>>> In working with Word 365 recently, I found that it's best to do both -

>>> that is, mark the Header Row option in the Table Design Ribbon and mark the

>>> Repeat Header Rows. The Word Accessibility Checker was throwing the error

>>> if you did not check the Header Row option and if you were converting to

>>> https://support.office.com/en-us/article/video-create-accessible-tables-in-word-cb464015-59dc-46a0-ac01-6217c62210e5).

>>> The best part is that the "Try It!" section identifies how to create a

>>> table with headers using the Header Row option in the Table Styles Options

>>> group. The video, however, demonstrates how to go into the Table Properties

>>> and in the Row tab, to check the "Repeat as header row at the top of each

>>> page" option. So much for consistency.

>>> To Karen's point, you never know how the document may be changed.

>>> Further, with both MS Word and Acrobat now moving to a more continuous

>>> release cycle for the apps, you never know when the vendors will make

>>> changes behind the scenes.

>>> Take care,

>>> Sean