[Athen] [EXTERNAL] - Accessible PDFs without Acrobat

Philip Kiff phil at d4k.ca
Wed Dec 9 19:17:15 PST 2020

Bevi's detailed response covers most questions raised - and more. I
would add a small clarification to the thread about AxesPDF QuckFix
along with a couple additional notes about software offerings.

Mark wrote:

> We are exploring the use of AxesPDF (https://www.axes4.com/

> <https://www.axes4.com/>). It doesn’t require Acrobat Pro, and in my

> experience is easier to use than Acrobat Pro.

While AxesPDF Quick Fix does not require Acrobat Professional, it is not
intended as a replacement for all the PDF editing capabilities of
Acrobat Professional. It makes "remediating" PDFs easier: it performs
some fixes very quickly - often with one click of a button. And it
provides a better interface for editing tag properties than Acrobat
does. But if you are trying to edit a poorly built PDF to make it
accessible, then you will find that there are some essential functions
that still require Acrobat Professional. A couple critical examples
include: inserting new tags, changing the order of tags, or changing the
level of nested tags.

So yes, CommonLook PDF is installed as a plug-in to Acrobat
Professional, so you will need Acrobat even to install it. But
realistically, you will find that you need Acrobat Professional to use
alongside AxesPDF QuickFix as well even though axesPDF QuickFix installs
as a stand-alone program.

Bevi wrote:

> * CommonLook PDF, is especially good with correcting tables. And you

> need training in how to use it.

> * AxesPDF Quick Fix is meh, IMHO. And you need training in how to

> use it.

I have used AxesPDF extensively and am happy with it, but I don't doubt
Bevi's asssessment of it as compared to CommonLook PDF. I would note,
however, that the pricing of CommonLook can be difficult to discover (no
prices are listed on their website) and that if you are not a non-profit
or government agency, their pricing is prohibitively expensive in some
cases. In my case, the annual price of CommonLook PDF quoted to me was
quite literally more than 10 times the published price of a license for
AxesPDF QuickFix.

CommonLook PDF:
https://commonlook.com/accessibility-software/pdf/

axesPDF QuickFix:
https://www.axes4.com/axespdf-quickfix-overview.html

Lastly, while not necessarily the right choice for many, there are
Microsoft Word add-ins from each of the two companies listed above. With
the right training, and with the right templates, each of these add-ins
can make it possible to generate fully accessible, PDF/UA compliant PDFs
directly from Microsoft Word, without needing Acrobat Professional. Bevi
notes that Microsoft Word can create a generally accessible PDF from a
basic file. These add-ins improve the output from a Word file to make it
more fully comply with the current standards. Though both of these
add-ins cost about the same as a license for Microsoft Office itself.

axesPDF for Word:
https://www.axes4.com/axespdf-for-word-overview.html

CommonLook Office:
https://commonlook.com/accessibility-software/office/