[Athen] Remote Incident Manger A Game Changer

Herman Fermin hermanfermin at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 14:33:10 PDT 2022

Hi all,

Just wanted to get a pulse on what folks around the country are using for
their remote assistance products? We are currently exploring using a
product called Remote Incident Manager (RIM) made by Pneuma Solutions
https://pneumasolutions.com/. To my knowledge, they are the only one who
are accessible from end to end and is screen reader agnostic. They are
currently in beta and anyone can give it a spin at www.getrim.app. For me
who is visually impaired and works in IT never had the opportunity to be
able to remote control someone’s device for assistance, this is an utter
game changer. Currently it is Windows to Windows but other platforms are in
the near future and I’m told on the road map. This was made with
accessibility in mind from the get-go not added later and retrofitted like
most products we unfortunately have to use in higher education.

Thus far from my testing it, it is absolutely amazing and I suspect will
open so many doors since inclusivity is a baseline for their philosophy.
While they are in beta, it is completely free and they are looking for more
people to put it through its’ paces. It would be great in my opinion to
have some mouse users give it a try and I do see other spaces that this
could fill. Someone had asked last month some time what other folks would
use for proctoring a test. Since you can monitor what a student does in
real-time, you would not have to send that student to a room on a specific
computer on a specific day etc. Only difference I see between RIM and
someone like HonorLock is verifying it’s you through a camera and a
photograph of the student to make sure its really the student. I’m told,
the camera isn’t part of the RIM product right now but can be added very
easily if there are enough requests for it.

Thanks all,

German Fermin

Regards,

--

German Fermin

Student Technology Center

Information Technology Services

Northern Arizona University

928-523-3335

+1-888-520-7215 (domestic and international calls accepted)

https://nau.edu/its/help

Remember: Never give your NAU password to anyone! A real NAU representative
will never ask you for your password!