[Athen] Braille embosser recommendations

Romack, Justin justinr at disability.tamu.edu
Tue Jun 21 07:36:22 PDT 2022

Howdy y'all!

I've spoken with a couple of colleagues as we're researching and preparing to upgrade our Braille embosser (a Viewplus Tiger Pro from the early 2000s).

I'd love any feedback from folks who have done similar research on embossers within the past couple of years.

Our list of requirements aren't too lengthy: (1) The ability to produce tactile graphics is imperative. (2) We have produced larger volumes of Braille, so a characters-per-second of 100+ is important. WE have a couple of blind students now, with tactile graphics production possibly needed for math and economics classes in the next two semesters. We have managed to do several tactile graphics projects with Illustrator and Tiger Design Suite in the past, but I'm also open to exploring any other products, solutions, or workflows if we move away from the Viewplus family of embossers.

I've looked at the Delta 2 by Viewplus and the Everest by Index. These seem to be efficient solutions that meet our requirements and also stay around $5-$6K with an extended warranty. The next tier of embossers jump into the $10-$15K+ and seem to do more than what we may need.

Curious if anyone else has recommendations or other thoughts I may not be considering right now.

Grateful for y'all!

Thanks,

Justin Romack | Assistive Technology Coordinator
Disability Resources | Texas A&M University
1224 TAMU | College Station, TX 77843-1224

ph: 979.845.1637 | justinr at disability.tamu.edu | disability.tamu.edu
DIVISION OF STUDENT AFFAIRS | One Division. One Mission.