[Athen] Braille embosser recommendations

Paul Linh Nguyen Paul.Linh.Nguyen at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 10:53:03 PDT 2022

Hello Justin and list,

We too do our tactile graphics production primarily using Adobe Illustrator
and with a dab of Tiger Design Suite.

We are fortunate to have the support of space and funding to have more than
one embosser for our needs. Currently our set-up is as follows:

- Tactile Graphics: ViewPlus Elite
<https://viewplus.com/product/vp-elite/>
- Text and simple in-line tactile graphics: Index Basic-D v5
<https://www.indexbraille.com/en-us/braille-embossers/basic-d-v5>
- Standby/Back-up: ViewPlus Delta v1

We used to have a ViewPlus Tiger Pro for tactile graphics alongside an
Index Basic-D embosser for documents that were text only.

When we finally replaced our Tiger Pro, we went with the ViewPlus Premier
<https://viewplus.com/product/vp-premier/>. The Premier felt like a modern
upgrade to the Tiger Pro sans the ability to handle roll paper when it came
to producing tactile graphics.

Our Index Basic-D had been tried and true when embossing text. Especially
as the dots were rounder and firmer than what the Tiger Pro or Premiere
would produce (which were more like crosses/plus punches).

We eventually acquired a ViewPlus Delta v1 in hopes that it could be a
combination of the dots delivered by the Index Basic-D but still allow us
to create tactile graphics. As the Delta punches Braille dots more like the
Index, we found it less flexible in finer details of tactile graphics than
we would have liked. Additionally we've had a number of issues with the
sheet feeding mechanism but have heard that was improved in the ViewPlus
Delta v2 <https://viewplus.com/product/vp-delta-2/>. And there's the new
Rogue that they've been showcasing though I'm not sure as to the nuances.
As it stands, our Delta is relegated to back-up in case either of our other
embossers misbehaves and we have to limp by.

As the ViewPlus Delta could not produce tactile graphics that we felt were
similar to the Tiger Pro / Premier, we were able to get by and eventually
get the ViewPlus Elite to replace our aging Premier, especially given our
increased volume. The Elite, for all intents and purposes, is just a faster
version of the Premier.

While most of our tactile graphics went through our ViewPlus Premier /
Elite embossers via the Adobe Illustrator route, occasionally our Braillist
was able to embed very simple tactile graphics and we would emboss it
through our Index Basic-D v5
<https://www.indexbraille.com/en-us/braille-embossers/basic-d-v5> via
TactileView embedded in a Duxbury file.

Hope this helps give you some insights.