[Athen] [EXTERNAL] - Audio Description

Hayman, Douglass dhayman at olympic.edu
Fri Aug 4 08:07:21 PDT 2023

Lorraine,

You might want to check this link:

https://www.washington.edu/accesstech/videos/description/

When I worked at UW in Accessible Technology Services we had UWTV make many of our videos. In the early days we had VHS tapes that had a closed caption version then a second, longer audio described one. When things moved to DVD and online streaming there were some we had that attempted to quickly inject the audio description in between what speakers were saying and that was a poor listener experience and a bit confusing.

Even if the video had a male answering a question then a female voice quickly interjecting audio description, "John Doe, professor of engineering at Acme University walking through a laboratory" and you'd know which was the AD and which were the people asking questions and answering them it was kind of an auditory mess.

And just as we found out how to visually frame shots so that closed captions wouldn't interfere with content on the screen when later toggled on, we learned that one needs to have space for audio descriptions if the video was to remain the same length, using good planning in pre-production.

When ordering audio description from a vendor like 3Play Media one can choose to have an extended option picked where the visual frame freezes to allow the interjection of audio description to not be rushed.

Which also brings up the real time guidance of someone presenting to an audience. If they assume that some in the crowd cannot see and make a point of describing a chart or graphic as part of their presentation, then little or no audio description would need to be added in post-production. Likewise if a professor is making an instructional video and performs in front of the camera with the assumption that there may be blind and low vision viewers, then he or she would be advised to say, "I'm holding up a cylinder that is about 4-inches long and 2-inches in diameter, made from aluminum that we used to..." or you'll need to do that in post-production with edits and added costs.

Doug Hayman
IT Accessibility Coordinator
Information Technology
Olympic College