[Athen] Ally for digital STEM course content

Lilian Joy lilian.joy at york.ac.uk
Tue Jan 10 05:14:38 PST 2023

To reinforce what Matt has said, at the moment, Ally is not parsing
mathematical content well.
Different universities in the UK are using different approaches for their
staff who produce documents with LaTeX: Accessibility Resources for STEM by
university
<https://github.com/A11yMaths/AccessibilityResources/wiki/Resources-by-University>
by the Jisc A11yMaths group.
At the Uni of York, our lecturers are ensuring they have created the most
accessible LaTeX files possible so they output PDFs with structure, alt
text or figure captions, and meaningful hyperlinks. Using pandoc and
tex2html, they can then create alternative formats easily and they are
encouraged to upload both the PDF and an alternative format like HTML. In
other words, we're not relying on Ally to create the alternative format for
STEM content.
To be clear, no matter how 'accessible' a PDF file is, the maths in it is
not accessible to assistive technologies at the moment. This may change in
the future.
Hence the need to start with a good workflow where the original file is in
a good state so alternative formats can easily be created from it.
Hope that helps.
Regards
*Lilian*

Lilian Joy
Educational Adviser
Tel: 01904 321177
@uoy_tel <https://twitter.com/uoy_tel> | PDLT site
<https://elearningyork.wordpress.com/> | Digital Accessibility site
<https://www.york.ac.uk/about/equality/accessibility/digital-accessibility/>
| My presentations and posts
<https://elearningyork.wpcomstaging.com/about/lilian-soon/>
Programme Design and Learning Technology Team
Email disclaimer
<https://www.york.ac.uk/about/legal-statements/email-disclaimer/>