[Athen] How do WCAG & PDF/UA authorize removing running headers and footers from PDFs?

Karen McCall K4mccall at outlook.com
Thu Jun 29 11:40:51 PDT 2023

Page headers and footers are considered “non-printing elements” in PDFs. They are not tagged by default.

If you want to add “page numbers” use the Page Labels technique as per ISO 14289 or PDF/UA.

You don’t tag page numbers in PDFs or add tags for page headers or footers.

Consider the accessibility barriers of:

1. Where do you add the page header or footer tags when a paragraph, list, or table spans multiple pages? Do you interrupt the content to add/force people with disabilities to read information that people reading the content visually skip over?
2. Do you put the page header and footer information together in a clump before a multi-page list, table or paragraph or after it? Would it make sense to hear repeated information that appears on every page?

We’ve never tagged page header and footer information as part of making PDFs accessible. I know some people have tagged page numbers but you end up with the dilemma I outlined above.

Page Labels do give you the opportunity to have preface pages like i, ii, iii and so forth identified for everyone. Using Page Labels, someone using a screen reader can quickly go to a specific page but someone not using a screen reader can use the same keyboard commands/tool to go to page and land on the right page. If the page numbers are in the tags tree, they don’t always line up with the physical page and the page referenced when you try to go to a specific page.

If a logo or organizational name is in a page header or footer, it also needs to be on the cover page of the document somewhere as text to acknowledge that this is an official document by that organization. And you never only put the title of the document in a page header or footer.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me!

Cheers, Karen,