[Biostudent] Internship - SER-UW Native Plant Nursery

Biology Advising bioladv at uw.edu
Mon Nov 14 13:32:32 PST 2022

As the fall quarter closes, the SER-UW Native Plant Nursery
<https://sites.uw.edu/seruwnursery/> is beginning our search for student
interns for the upcoming Winter 2023 quarter. Do you mind sending the
following blurb and attachment to any mailing lists that might be
interested in this opportunity? Thank you!

~

The SER-UW Native Plant Nursery is a student-led operation that houses
several thousand individual plants and over one hundred different species
native to the Puget Sound. Our mission is to provide a local source of
native plants for student projects and restoration sites, to educate
students on best nursery practices for sustainable native plant production,
and to continue to improve those practices through research and
collaboration with students and community partners.

The nursery is seeking student interns for the fall quarter. Interns are
expected to devote an average of 9 hours a week to nursery projects. In
conjunction with the manager, interns will develop learning objectives
based on individual interests and strengths, *receiving credit* for ESRM
399 or their school’s equivalent. The interns' time will be split between
routine plant maintenance, integrated pest management, nursery
infrastructure projects, helping with weekly volunteer work parties, and
individual projects. Each intern also produces an individual project based
around their interests and the needs of the nursery. Projects have
included, but are not limited to; data tracking or analysis, experiments,
infrastructure improvements or proposals, community outreach and social
media, or industry whitepapers.

To apply, send a resume and a 300-500 word cover letter. Please indicate
why you would like to be considered, what you want to learn, and how your
previous work experience and/or coursework apply to this position.* To
apply or request more information, email nursery manager, Lea Dyga, at
sernursery at gmail.com <sernursery at gmail.com>. Deadline is November 30th,
2022.* More information can also be found at our website,
https://sites.uw.edu/seruwnursery/get-involved/nursery-internships/.

~

Let me know if you have any questions. We greatly appreciate you passing on
this opportunity!

Thank you,

Lea Dyga (they/she)

SER-UW Native Plant Nursery Manager

AmeriCorps CLEC Member

University of Washington Botanic Gardens

[image:
https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1rMHy9wUPJwUqzsz5ROeOYvhmxYzpC6d1&revid=0B5O2YEQoAM9cL0diaFpwODdKMVo2enRJZG1heXA2SjF4QkdVPQ]
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/wacampuscoalition.org/clec__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!hTsWuByec-ZPIiOGpgpA0gKf5BKv1liY9r7poUabaPLzFXkJ2mgRHJihWqQgiX2aYr3YKQqquv4y$>
*[image:
https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1ATJKZaM8fGJvQw7scaXwSiZY2GlVz2ng&revid=0B5O2YEQoAM9cM2JnYVZPa3JycjNEL25oblZZK0lWeUlYSEFnPQ]*
<https://botanicgardens.uw.edu/>

WEB <https://sites.uw.edu/seruwnursery/> - INSTA [instagram.com]
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.instagram.com/sernursery/__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!jeEHrc7HRIblPm2zODykoJkda6T1uRJrWFMSMjI6gZ4SlcutWV-74qbaFWPjHFkIefyoTK8_voa5YfArsg$>

--
*Biology Advising *
University of Washington, *BOX* 355320

*Zoom drop-in advising hours (10-15 min meetings):*

Monday - Thursday 9 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.

*Join Zoom Meeting *https://washington.zoom.us/j/97207369544
Advising Sessions via EMAIL, PHONE, and ZOOM. In person advising available
by appointment only.

Please include your name and student number in your emails.