[Athen] Help w\ Captioning

Gaeir Dietrich gdietrich at htctu.net
Thu Mar 11 10:56:26 PST 2010

> I remember Dick Banks used to demonstrate using voice recognition to

transcribe a file - not directly from the original speaker, but by repeating
the audio into Dragon Dictate instead of using the keyboard.

Yes, a trained Dragon user can be a great transcriptionist. I have often
thought that it would make a great career for anyone who uses Dragon well
and is looking for work. A proficient Dragon user can rival steno users, and
that's saying a lot!

Tips:

Set Dragon to put two spaces after a period. It helps the captioning
software to recognize the symbol.

Train any unusual vocabulary beforehand so that recognition is improved. (In
the Accuracy Center window, choose "View or Edit your vocabulary.")

If there is a list of words that Dragon does not know, add them beforehand
and train as you add. (Choose "Add a list of words to your vocabulary" in
the Accuracy Center or go to Words > Import.)

Only create a new paragraph when the speaker changes or you add sound
information, and do not double space between paragraphs.

See the Captioning Key from DCMP for information on how to include relevant
sounds in your transcript.

Rip the audio from the video and put it onto a Dictaphone (if you can still
find one). You can also use a digital recorder, but Dictaphones are made to
allow easy forward and backward navigation.

Good luck!

Gaeir (rhymes with "fire") Dietrich
High Tech Center Training Unit of the
California Community Colleges
De Anza College, Cupertino, CA
www.htctu.net
408-996-6043

The HTCTU provides leadership, training, and support to the California
Community Colleges in using technology to promote the success of students
with disabilities.

There is no success without access...

_____