[Athen] Adding captions to YouTube videos you don't own

Joseph Polizzotto jpolizzotto at htctu.net
Mon Jan 30 12:31:10 PST 2017

Adam,

I also recommend the use of Amara <http://amara.org/en/> in this scenario.

Before using Amara, it might also help to use Aeneas
<https://github.com/readbeyond/aeneas/> , which is a free tool that takes
care of synchronizing the transcript with the YouTube video.

If you have the transcript, just create an Aeneas project (from the command
line <https://github.com/readbeyond/aeneas/blob/master/wiki/INSTALL.md> or
the Aeneas web app <https://aeneasweb.org/login> ) that aligns your
transcript with the audio from the YouTube video. In the Aeneas web app,
select the second button, "CC Task (from segmented text)", add desired
settings, and enter the location of the transcript and the URL for the
YouTube video.

If you don't have a transcript, use the Aeneas web app to download the
YouTube auto captions, which provide a "rought draft". Once editing is done,
add any desired settings, and submit for alignment. The syncmap is sent to
the registered email address.

I have listed these steps below:

Creating CC files with Aeneas + Amara

1. Create a Aeneas membership at <http://www.aeneasweb.org>
www.aeneasweb.org
2. Under Submit New Job, select "CC Task (from scratch)"
3. Enter the URL for the YouTube video, select the language (of the
video), and press download Auto CC
4. In the Review Automatic CC window, edit the content of the automatic
CC file by

a. Correcting misrecognitions
b. Correcting punctuation
c. Ending each sentence or grammatical unit on each line in the editor
window

5. Press the Segment button to create new caption blocks
6. Review the revised caption blocks and press Upload
7. In the Other Settings window, further tweak your Aeneas project by:

a. Ignoring certain strings of text (e.g., speaker identification)
b. Identifying the head and tail of the audio file
c. Removing non-speech fragments of audio (for alignment purposes only)
d. Adjusting the boundary algorithm
<https://www.readbeyond.it/aeneas/docs/adjustboundaryalgorithm.html>
(changes how the aligner handles consecutive text fragments in relation to
the determined maximum characters/second value)

8. Enter the name and format of the syncmap; then click Submit to send
project to the aligner
9. An email is sent with an attachment of the syncmap (e.g., VTT, SRT,
JSON, SUB, TTML) to the registered email address.
10. Upload the syncmap to the Amara account.

HTH,

Joseph