[Athen] Fw: [ITACCESS] Missing Captions on Videos in Canvas

Rovner, Amy arovner at shoreline.edu
Wed Jun 14 13:42:28 PDT 2017

Hello All,

Wanted to spread this news far and wide in the hopes of putting massive pressure on YouTube to fix the issue.

Short story - YouTube made an update yesterday that broke the ability for captions to be viewed on any embedded videos. As a result they are not showing on videos in our Canvas classrooms (and it's finals week here!), captions are not showing up on all of our public-facing videos on our college website and elsewhere.

This is a HUGE accessibility issue. When I checked earlier today, it hadn't made it onto their list of "Known Issues." It's bit tough to reach a human at YouTube but I did send them a note on their "Provide Feedback" link at the bottom of most pages. There is a bit of chatter on stack overflow.com (as you can see in the message below) but nothing elsewhere that I could find.

I want to make sure they are aware of the issue, its implications about accessibility and how it should be their #1 priority to fix but I think they need to hear from more a11y's. Can you chime in?

Thanks in advance,

Amy

Amy Rovner, MPH RD
Accessible IT Coordinator