[Athen] Are you using automatic captions?

National Deaf Center help at nationaldeafcenter.org
Tue May 10 06:21:47 PDT 2022

Greetings Tiffany,

When you say “We are having conversations on campus…” an important
consideration is centering the people who ultimately are the end-users of
such technology to see if it is effective for them. For example, we often
see deaf1 students struggling with access because their schools will rely
on auto-caption features and will not provide professional speech-to-text
service providers <http://www.nationaldeafcenter.org/stts> (i.e. CART,
C-Print, or TypeWell captionists) and/or quality captions
<https://www.nationaldeafcenter.org/quality-standards-captions> for videos.
With poor accuracy rates among other concerns, automatic speech recognition
(ASR) technology must be carefully considered where and when it is
implemented. Generally speaking, it is not recommended for use with
classroom access or live events when deaf people are present because of the
risk of misunderstandings. We recommend reviewing: Auto Captions and Deaf
Students: Why Automatic Speech Recognition Technology Is Not the Answer
(Yet)
<https://www.nationaldeafcenter.org/news/auto-captions-and-deaf-students-why-automatic-speech-recognition-technology-not-answer-yet>
.

However, there may be certain use cases where ASR technology could be
useful such as, but not limited to:

-

A tool when creating transcripts to edit when captioning pre-recorded
videos. Editing ASR transcripts can be more efficient than creating a
transcript from scratch.
-

An accommodation for people with mobility and/or dexterity disabilities
to type independently.
-

A stop-gap tool for one-on-one situations when deaf and hearing people
need to communicate.
-

As a note taking
<https://www.nationaldeafcenter.org/resource/note-taking-introduction>
tool for some students.

We hope this helps provide considerations on using ASR technology on
campus. We also would encourage you to post your question on the NDC
Listserv to ask colleagues who may frequently interact with captioning
requests on campus to learn more about their strategies. To join the NDC
listserv, sign up at nationaldeafcenter.org/signup
<http://www.nationaldeafcenter.org/signup>.

Should you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to reach
out to us for more information on this topic.

Additional Resources

-

Does Auto Captioning Effectively Accommodate Deaf People?
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbMB5Hj14Pg>(Webinar Recording)

-

Captioned Media: Automatic Captions
<https://www.nationaldeafcenter.org/automatic-captions>
-

Speech-to-Text Services (STTS) vs. Automatic Speech Recognition (ASR)
<https://www.nationaldeafcenter.org/automatic-captions>

1NDC <https://www.nationaldeafcenter.org/defining-deaf> uses the term deaf in
an all-inclusive manner, to include people who may identify as deaf,
deafblind, deafdisabled, hard of hearing, late-deafened, and hearing
impaired.

*NDC | help team*
help at nationaldeafcenter.org
[image: https://www.nationaldeafcenter.org/]
<https://www.nationaldeafcenter.org/>
<http://www.nationaldeafcenter.org/>
<https://www.facebook.com/nationaldeafcenter>
<https://twitter.com/NationalDeafCtr>
<https://www.instagram.com/nationaldeafcenter/>
<https://www.youtube.com/national%20deaf%20center>
Subscribe to our newsletter <http://www.nationaldeafcenter.org/signup>!

NDC is a technical assistance and dissemination center funded by the U.S.
Department of Education's Office of Special Education Programs
#H326D210002. Project Officer: Dr. Louise Tripoli. Disclaimers: 1) The
contents of this email do not necessarily represent the positions or
policies of the federal government. 2) NDC does not provide legal advice
and any information shared should not be considered as such. 3) NDC does
not endorse any specific products/services/vendors and any information
shared should not be considered as such.